Friday, October 29, 2010

HOW TO ANALYZE THE BOOKS YOU READ! Lesson 2

Lesson 2: Quick, Easy, Convenient Way to Gather the Data

Now that you’ve got the books…What are you looking for when you read?

Well, I’m glad you asked, because I have a list. Actually I have a 5 x 8 Index Card…

This system evolved when I used an index card as a bookmark. Every time I came upon something that interested me about the book I was reading, or if I noticed that this book contained something I’d also seen in the book I’d just read, I began jotting things on the index card. Pretty soon I realized I needed to put the book’s title and author on the card. Then I realized I should also put the date. Then “questions” began arising for every story, so I put those on the card and before you know it, I had a whole index card of questions to answer for every book.

This card is convenient because having the questions pre-typed assures I answer every question I need answered, and in the same order, so pulling data off is easier, but it also gives me a place to jot down unexpected important things I notice. But we’ll get to that later. Let’s start with the questions.

These are the questions I have on my 5X8 index card…

How does the book Open: (Type of scene and amount of description/ backstory)

What’s the hook?

What is the Conflict?

When Does the Conflict First Appear?

Location: (Is location important to the story?)

Heroine…Unique?

Hero…Unique? (Alpha, Beta, combo?)

Does the middle sag? Why? Why not?

Any unique twists?

Black Moment?

Ending?

Was there anything great about this book?

Or did the book suck? Why?

How much narrative versus dialogue and action? (Do these characters “think” a lot? Or is there an unholy amount of description?)

That’s the questions for the front of the card.

On the back of the card, I write out things that tickle me, are unexpected, and/or are important. I also write out lines of incredibly good description, clever writing, or good dialogue. Not to copy! (Never copy anything!) But to remind myself what good writing looks like. Some days I forget. LOL On those days, a peek at one of these good lines or exceptional descriptions or sparkling dialogue will perk me up and make ME creative by reminding me of what creativity looks like!

That’s lesson 2. For your homework I’d like you to copy these questions into your word processing program and fiddle around with your printer and formatting so you can make your own card!

susan meier
THE BABY PROJECT, 4/11
SECOND CHANCE BABY, 5/11
A BABY ON THE RANCH, 6/11
All part of the BABY IN THE BOARDROOM series for Harlequin Romance!

No comments: